Friday, October 4, 2013

it's just beginning

On September 15th I stepped onto Turkish soil–concrete, really–for the first time. I met my host family, and took a moment in the backseat of our small van to let the city sink into my reality. On that day I crossed the Bosphorus for the first time, and walked into my new home. 7,000A Residence–a high-end apartment complex, complete with two swimming pools, two tennis courts, a basket ball court, a cafe, a gym, and a barbecue area–is where I will be living for the next year. It is located in Atasehir, Istanbul, Turkey.

My school, Adiguzel Art School is a five minute walk from my house. I will be in the music program at the school, and I will study cello, piano, and voice, as well as music theory and sight and audio note-reading. I will be taking trips and spending time with the other twenty-three inbound exchange students from Mexico, Germany, Brazil, Taiwan, Venezuela, United States, France, and Canada.

The city of Istanbul is the perfect blend of old and new. It is the only city on two continents, and Europe and Asia offer such a rich variety of different activities, locations, and sights, that it can be overwhelming. However, I am determined to see amazing things, meet wonderful people, and enjoy my year in Istanbul.

No comments:

Post a Comment